Monday, January 18, 2010

Is there something wrong with history?

The truth is I don't have an answer. I can see the argument on both sides. As I read Allen Brinkley's Historians and Their Publics and Ian Tyrell's Historians in Public it made it even more confusing. One of the main reasons for the downfall of history in the public is specialization. However, I don't see that as a problem. I am an Africanist. I do not want to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. I still read and try to understand all types of history but I focus on Africa. The problem is when it becomes a distraction. When all you do is focus on your specialization and fail to integrate it into other histories that is when there is something wrong with history.

However, history books are not usually my first reference point. History books are dry and boring and are not geared towards me. Historians have not grown with the times. In the time it takes me to read ten pages I could have gone online found the fact and saved time. History books are not concise and tend to over analyze. I watch the History Channel all the time because it is entertaining and integrate facts. Historians need to learn to adapt to a younger audience with the new technology because historians are no longer the only source for history.

No comments:

Post a Comment